Additional Resources

  • Early Childhood Direction Centers
    The network of Early Childhood Direction Centers (ECDCs), administered by the New York State Education Department, is a resource for professionals and parents of children with disabilities, birth through five years of age. ECDCs provide information about programs and services available in the community and referral assistance in accessing these services. For information about the ECDC in your region, refer to ACCES-VR’s website or call (518) 486-7462.
    Independent Living Centers
    Independent Living Centers are private, community-based programs which provide a variety of services to people with disabilities. These nonresidential, nonmedical service centers provide education and awareness activities within their communities to break down barriers, allowing people with disabilities to participate fully in community life. Services provided by centers include: peer counseling; information and referral; advocacy; housing assistance; transportation; services referral (interpreters, readers, attendants); independent living skill counseling and training; architectural barrier consultation; equipment maintenance; repair and loan; and TTY relay. For information about the Independent Living Center in your region, refer to ACCES-VR’s website  or call (518) 474-2925.

    Regional Special Education - Technical Assistance Service Center (RSE-TASC)
    The RSE-TASC network, administered by ACCES-VR, provides local information, training and resources related to the education of students with disabilities. RSE-TASC training specialists provide parents, school district staff and administrators, agency representatives and other interested individuals with resources, consultation and training programs based on local needs and statewide goals. For information about the RSE-TASC office in your region, refer to ACCES-VR’s website or call (518) 486-7462.
    Transition Coordination Sites
    Regional Transition Coordination Sites (TCS) assist local communities in implementing transition planning and services. They coordinate existing resources within a geographic area to provide information, training and technical assistance to local school districts, families, students and community agencies. They also assist at the local and community levels to expand services to enhance the transition of students with disabilities from school to postsecondary educational opportunities, adult vocational rehabilitation services and employment. For information about the TCS in your region, refer to ACCES-VR’s website or call (518) 474-7566.
    Adult Career and Continuing Education Services -Vocational Rehabilitation ACCES-VR (formally VESID)
    The Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation ACCES-VR provide services to individuals with disabilities to prepare them for employment. Services include: physical and/or psychological examinations; vocational evaluation; guidance and counseling; medical services (to improve ability to work); job and work adjustment training; meal allowances, books, tools and transportation for on-the-job support; other goods and services needed to obtain a job; job coaching; supported employment services; training in job seeking; job placement services and follow-up services. For information about the Adult Career and Continuing Education Office in your region, refer to ACCES-VR’s website or call 1-800-222-JOBS (1-800-222-5627).

    Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped
    Located within the Office of Children and Family Services, CBVH is responsible for the administration of programs and services to legally blind individuals to enhance independence and facilitate opportunities to participate in the community. CBVH provides a range of services for individuals who are legally blind through the independent living and vocational rehabilitation provisions of the Federal Rehabilitation Act, as well as through programs serving children and older individuals who are blind. For information about CBVH, call 1-866-871-3000 (TTY: 1-866-871-6000).
    Commissioner for Quality Care
    The Commission on Quality of Care’s Advocacy Services Bureau coordinates a statewide protection and advocacy program for people with disabilities and their families. The Bureau offers training programs to help parents understand special education laws and regulations. These programs are co-sponsored by local groups. For information about the Advocacy Services Bureau, call (518) 381-7098 (collect) or email.
    Coordinated Children Services Initiative
    The Coordinated Children Services Initiative (CCSI) is a multi-agency initiative that assists localities in providing children with emotional and behavioral disabilities at risk of residential placement with services in their homes, schools and communities. The goal of CCSI is to reduce residential placements by developing a local infrastructure that brings together child serving systems to provide a comprehensive and integrated system of care that supports families in staying together. For more information contact ACCES-VR at (518) 473-9307.
    Office of Advocate for Persons with Disabilities
    The Office of Advocate for Persons with Disabilities (OAPwD) is a systems advocacy agency for people with disabilities. Its primary mission is to ensure that people with disabilities have every opportunity to be productive and participating citizens through: full access to emerging technology; access to up-to-date, comprehensive information on and referral to programs and services available to people with disabilities and their families; and implementation of progressive legislation protecting the equal rights of people with disabilities. For information about OAPwD, call (800) 522-4369 or (518) 473-6005, (voice, TTY and Spanish call (518) 473-4129 (within NYS), (518) 474-5567 (outside NYS)) electronic BBS call (800) 943-2323.
    Office of Mental Health
    The Office of Mental Health (OMH) is responsible for developing plans, programs and services for the care, treatment, rehabilitation, education and training of individuals with mental illness. The Office provides direct services at nineteen adult, six children’s and three forensic psychiatric centers and provides fund allocation and certification of non-State-operated mental health programs. For more information contact the Bureau of Children and Family Services at (518) 474-8394.
    Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)
    The Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) operates 13 Developmental Disabilities Services Offices (DDSOs) responsible for providing care, treatment, habilitation and rehabilitation services to individuals with mental retardation and developmental disabilities. In partnership with consumers, families, staff, private providers and local governments, the DDSO’s provide person-centered assistance to improve the quality of life of individuals and their families through the provision of housing, employment and family support services. For more information contact (518) 473-9689 or visit the OPWDD website.
    Office of Children and Family Services
    The Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) provides operational support and policy direction to local social services districts and youth bureaus across the State and is responsible for the operation of 48 statewide residential and day placement facilities for youth. Programs and services provided through OCFS include child and adult protective, child welfare, domestic violence, pregnancy prevention; family services, youth development and delinquency prevention; juvenile justice; and after care programs. For more information contact (518) 473-7793.
    Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
    The Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) administers a comprehensive program of prevention, intervention and treatment services for persons addicted to alcohol and other drugs. OASAS plans, develops and regulates the State’s system of alcoholism and substance abuse treatment agencies; operates 13 Alcoholism Treatment Centers; licenses and regulates local, community-based providers of inpatient, outpatient and residential services; and monitors programs to ensure quality of care and compliance with State and national standards. For more information contact (518) 473-3460.