PPRA Notice and Consent/Opt-Out for Specific Activities
The Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA), 20 U.S.C. §1232h, requires Amherst Central School District to notify you and obtain consent or allow you to opt your child out of participating in certain school activities. These activities include a student survey, analysis, or evaluation that concerns one or more of the following eight areas (“protected information surveys”):
1. Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or student’s parent;
2. Mental or psychological problems of the student or student’s family;
3. Sex behavior or attitudes;
4. Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
5. Critical appraisals of others with whom respondents have close family relationships;
6. Legally recognized privileged relationships, such as with lawyers, doctors, or ministers;
7. Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or parents; or
8. Income, other than as required by law to determine program eligibility.
This requirement also applies to the collection, disclosure or use of student information for marketing purposes (“marketing surveys”), and certain physical exams and screenings. If any surveys or activities are scheduled after the school year starts, the Amherst CSD will provide parents, within a reasonable period of time prior to the administration of the surveys/activities, notification of the surveys and activities and be provided an opportunity to opt their child out, as well as an opportunity to review the surveys.
(Please note that this notice and consent/opt-out transfers from parents to any student who is 18 years old or an emancipated minor under State law.)