Track and Field @ Amherst Middle School
Coaches Shelly Currie, Patrick O’Donnell
Members of the Amherst Middle School Modified Track and Field team are expected to participate in all practices and meets. We will have a strict attendance policy for practices and meets.
- Students will be excused from practice if they are absent from school or there is a
need to stay after school with a teacher for extra help (a note from the teacher
should be provided when you come to practice after the extra help session).
- Students will be allowed 2 unexcused absences from practice. Please provide a
note to explain why you missed practice (i.e. doctor’s appointment). Coaches
reserve the right to remove an athlete from the team if more than 2 unexcused
practices are missed.
- All athletes must attend 10 practices before participating in the first meet because it
is a scrimmage. All athletes must attend 15 practices before participating in the
second meet. You are strongly discouraged from missing any practice before the first 2 meets as it may affect your ability to compete in the first 2 meets.
- Students are expected to be picked up promptly after practice. We appreciate your
help and consideration.
Athletes must adhere to the Middle School Dress Code Policy. Please remember to wear appropriate clothing to practice. It is strongly recommended you wear running sneakers to participate in track and field (dress shoes, boots, etc. can cause an injury).
- Please dress for the elements. We will run outside most of the season. Be
prepared with a hat, clothes, warm clothing, and rain gear if needed.
- If you are not adequately prepared for the elements, you will not practice and the
practice will count as an unexcused absence.
Modified Track Meets and Competition Calendar
Amherst Central High School (against Starpoint)
Holland Central High School
Iroquois Central High School
Hamburg Central High School
Amherst Central High School (against JFK)
Cheektowaga High School
Please remember to bring:
- Your uniform – Amherst Track and Field T-Shirt, Black Shorts,
- Please bring a water bottle to each meet.
- Depending on the weather, we recommend wearing a sweatshirt,
sweatpants, and coat and rain gear while sitting in the stands.
- If your parent picks you up from the meet, they must sign out
with Coach Currie or Coach O’Donnell before you leave. **If you
are riding home with someone other than your parents, you must provide Coach Currie or Coach O’Donnell with a note before you leave and the person driving you home must sign out with us before leaving the meet.
- No jewelry is allowed while competing. We recommend leaving these
items at home or in your backpack before the meet.