Community Service Requirements
Amherst Central High School has a proud tradition of helping students become well-rounded and prepared to take on the challenges of life after high school. One way that this is accomplished is through the successful completion of the required ACHS Community Service hours, prior to graduation. This is an excellent opportunity to foster personal development while contributing to the community where we live. View various Community Service opportunities.
This service must be provided without any monetary compensation, or as part of any other service requirements. The following guidelines are designed to help you make your community service experience both meaningful and successful. There are several key components to your ACHS Community Service project:
Completion of Hours - The required number of hours to complete has been prorated due to the Covid-19 pandemic and is as follows:
- Class of 2024 students must complete at least 10 hours prior to May 1 of their senior year.
- Class of 2025 students must complete at least 15 hours prior to May 1 of their senior year.
- Class of 2026 students must complete at least 20 hours prior to May 1 of their senior year.
- Class of 2027 students must complete at least 20 hours prior to May 1 of their senior year.
Community service can be done with at most three (3) agencies. Please view our list of organizations that offer community service opportunities on this page to find something that interests you. In addition, pre-approved school-based service opportunities may be made available throughout the year. Students are strongly encouraged to begin completing their community service hours right away, as opposed to waiting until their senior year. We recommend completing at least 5 hours per school year. All service hours must be completed by May 1 of senior year.
- Community Service / Service Learning is also a component of the NYS Seal of Civic Readiness; in order to meet this requirement, at least 25 hours of community service over the course of high school must be met at one (1) agency, regardless of year of graduation, along with completion of a Civic Readiness Community Service Pre-Approval Form, Community Service verification card, and Service Learning reflection form. Please view our list of community service experiences locations to get started with finding an experience that interests you. Additionally, you may seek out community service experiences that are not on this list, but still must complete the pre-approval form and meet with a Social Studies teacher during Civic Readiness office hours to review the experience and have it approved. Proposal forms can be found on the school website, the Library, or in Student Services. You must have prior approval before doing any community service hours related to the Seal of Civic Readiness, or they may not be counted. See Mr. Kapperman, Ms. Ward or Mr. Murray for more information on this requirement for the Seal of Civic Readiness.
Verification of Hours & Exit Interview - Once your Community Service hours are fully completed, you should turn in your completed community service verification card (hard copies of this form are available in Student Services and in the Dean’s Office) and schedule an appointment for an Exit Interview with Mrs. Carapetyan in Student Services. During this Exit Interview, which will be with an ACHS administrator, you will be asked to answer a few questions about your experience(s).
Please remember that you cannot participate in graduation without successfully completing your ACHS Community Service Requirement. You should view your Community Service as a commitment which is critical for your success. It is important to maintain communication with our community service coordinator, Mrs. Carapetyan, whose desk is located in Student Services, throughout the process. Please see the coordinator if you have questions or difficulties. When you combine good communication with respectful and responsible behavior, you ensure that your community service experience will be beneficial to everyone involved. Good luck with this worthwhile endeavor.