Amherst Central School District is committed to providing a safe transportation system for all eligible students.
Transportation limits for students residing within the Amherst Central School District
- All students in grades K-5 will be transported to and from school
- All students in grades 6-8 who live 1 mile or more from school will be transported to and from school
- All students in grades 9-12 who live 1.5 miles or more from school will be transported to and from school
Student Pick Up and Drop Off Locations
The District will designate pick-up and drop off locations based on policy, past practice and safety concerns.
- Kindergarten students will be picked up and dropped off at their house when possible. For example, only if the bus has full access to the street and is not located on a non-through street, dead-end or a cul-de-sac that is not currently traveled due to safety concerns.
- If there are other kindergarten students close by, the district will group the children so as to limit the number of stops, which will provide additional safety for students.
- Grades 1-5 students will be picked up and dropped off at corners unless the grouping of students is necessary or the neighborhood children involve a kindergarten student.
- Grades 6-8 will be picked up and dropped off at corners.
- In rare instances, a temporary exception may be made on a busy traveled roadway where students would not be able to cross safely.
- Grades 9-12 will be picked up and dropped off at corners.
Non-Through Streets, Dead-ends and Cul-de-sacs
Non-through streets, dead-ends and cul-de-sacs can present a challenge for school buses. There must be enough space on a court for the bus to turn around without backing up. There are areas that have never been traveled by a school bus and additional areas are added each year due to the changing guidelines and safety standards provided to us. The district sets the guidelines, not the bus driver. If you have any questions regarding these areas, please contact 716.362.3035.
Scheduling and Routing
The Amherst School District Board of Education establishes the specified limits and areas where transportation services will be provided to meet the needs of the students residing in the district. Every year, bus routes are reviewed and revised based on changes in student attendance patterns. The level of service in any given neighborhood may change from one year to the next as students who were eligible for a bus stop move on to higher grade levels or relocate.
Parents are responsible for getting their child(ren) to and from the bus stop safely! Students need to be at their scheduled location for pick up (5 to 10 minutes prior to bus arrival). The bus will NOT wait for latecomers. When meeting your child(ren) at their afternoon drop off, please make sure you are at the correct drop off location and arrive on time. If students are required to cross the street at their pick up or drop off location, please wait for the driver's hand signals to ensure it is safe to cross and follow additional guidance if necessary.
The Board of Education recognizes its responsibilities under law and regulations for all aspects of its transportation program, and to safeguard the welfare and safety of bus-riding students transported under this policy. The safe transportation of students to and from school is of primary concern in the administration of the school bus program. All state laws and regulations pertaining to the safe use of school buses shall be observed by drivers, students and school personnel.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
ALL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED BY
APRIL 1 , 2023
OF MOVING INTO THE DISTRICT
School Business Administrator
First Student (Contact phone number for Special Education Students)