ACHS Science Olympiad Team Competes at State Competition
The Amherst Central High School Science Olympiad team participated in the State Science Olympiad competition held at Le Moyne College in Syracuse, NY. They competed against 60 other teams from all over New York State. At the State competition, the ACHS Olympians finished within the top 28 teams in half of their 23 different events amongst 60 of the very best Science Olympiad teams from across all of New York State. It was the second year in a row that the team went to state competition.
The Science Olympiad is an academic competition in which 15 students compete in 23 different STEM-based events. The competition is like an academic track meet, consisting of a series of team events. Each year, a portion of the events are rotated to reflect the ever-changing nature of genetics, Earth science, chemistry, anatomy, physics, geology, mechanical engineering and technology. By combining events from all disciplines, it draws interest from a wide cross-section of students to get involved. Emphasis is placed on active, hands-on group participation.
The team qualified for states by placing fifth overall in the Regional Science Olympiad competition. Regionals were held at Buffalo State College where the ACHS team competed against 31 other Western New York teams to earn fifth place overall.
The ACHS Olympians earned medals in 13 of the 20 events they competed in. The State Science Olympiad competition will be held at Le Moyne College in Syracuse on March 18-19.
Members of the ACHS Science Olympiad team include Akash Jacobus, Jacky Hua, Michael Fernandez, Dhiraj Baral, Jenny Hua, Victoria Radomski, Adam Tillou, Paul Courtmanche, Michael Szumski, Maeve Lembke, Ian Pope, Dylan Nathan, Julia Radomski, Erin Sheridan and Nishant Pandey. The coaches are science teachers Dr. Paul A. Weber and Tammy Wrzosek-Kline.
Results from the Regional Competition:
- First place, Astronomy; Jacky Hua and Michael Fernandez
- First place, Chemistry Lab; Akash Jacobus and Jacky Hua
- Second place, Ornithology; Jenny Hua and Victoria Radomski
- Third place, Anatomy and Physiology; Akash Jacobus and Julia Radomski
- Third place, Disease Detective; Erin Sheridan and Maeve Lambke
- Fourth place, Bridge Building; Adam Tilley and Michael Szumski
- Fourth place, WiFi lab; Akash Jacobus and Michael Fernandez
- Fourth place, Environmental Chemistry; Dhiraj Baral and Akash Jacobus
- Sixth place, Ping Pong Parachute; Paul Courtemanche and Adam Tillou
- Sixth place, Rocks and Minerals; Erin Sheridan and Maeve Lambke
- Seventh place, It’s About Time; Akash Jacobus and Jenny Hua
- Seventh place, Dynamic Planet; Paul Courtemache and Michael Szumski
- Eighth place, Remote Sensing; Michael Fernandez and Erin Sheridan