Helping Tiger's Den in District-wide Food Drive
As the holiday season approaches, the Amherst Central School District will hold a district-wide food drive for the Tigers Den Food Pantry during the week of Oct. 15. Large bins will be located in the foyer area at each school building.
The Amherst Central School District, in partnership with St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Eggertsville and the Food Bank of WNY, offers a collaborative food pantry to families who qualify in the 14226 and 14221 zip codes regardless if they have children attending the school district. Based at St. Paul's Church Lutheran Church at 4007 Main Street, the Tiger's Den Food Pantry allows families to enroll in the pantry program and choose boxed, canned and perishable food items once a month.
Throughout the school year, each building organizes several collections for the pantry. During this collective effort to help restock the pantry shelves, each school building is asked to donate certain items.
Amherst Central High School is collecting:
- Toilet paper and paper towels
- Coffee and tea
- Canned beans (no black beans)
Amherst Middle School is collecting:
- Soup (no chicken or tomato)
- Cooking oil
- Side dishes, such as Rice A Roni
- Stuffing mix
Windermere Boulevard Elementary School is collecting:
- Healthy snacks, such as crackers, pretzels, cereal bars, goldfish crackers
- Canned yams, beets, collard greens, potatoes
- Canned protein, such as salmon, tuna, chicken
- Salad dressings
Smallwood Drive Elementary School is collecting:
- Spaghetti sauce and tomato paste
- Canned mandarin oranges and pears
- Gluten-free pasta, cereal, flour
- Condiments, such as mayonaise, ketchup, mustard
Community members can take donations of these items directly to the Tiger's Den Food Pantry, 4007 Main Street, Eggertsville, during the pantry hours of 3-7 p.m. on Thursdays, Oct. 4, Oct. 18 and Oct. 25 or on Saturdays, Oct. 13 and Oct. 27 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.